17 PLACES TO VISIT IN KUSADASI
There are many historical monuments and structures around and in the center of Kuşadası that should be visited. With our article in which we compiled these places that attract the attention of local and foreign tourists coming to Kuşadası, we expect all guests coming to Kuşadası to visit these areas.
1- Kurşunlu Monastery: The monastery, which is 12 km away from Kuşadası- Davutlar, at an altitude of 600 meters, has a magnificent view. In the 8th century, this region of Anatolia became one of the religious centers as a result of intense Christian immigration. Fleeing from pressure, clergymen built churches and monasteries in this region where they could hide and worship.
2-Melia: It is on the northern slope of Mykale (Dilek) Peninsula, on the southwest of Panionion sanctuary and today’s Güzelçamlı town, at the peak of 212 meters high Kale Hill.
3- Pigeon island: As Evliya Çelebi reports, the city was named Kuşadası because migratory birds were placed on the island in front of the harbor. In the dove, which Evliya Çelebi refers to as an enchanted islet with a marvelous definition, although it gives the city its name, it is undoubtedly the symbol of the city at the same time. The exact construction date of the citadel in the middle of the island is unknown. Some sources state that it was built by Barbaros Hayretin Pasha to protect the harbor. The walls surrounding the island were built by İlyas Ağa in 1826, as understood from the inscription on the right of the castle gate. The stones required for the construction of the castle were brought from Yılancı Cape.
4- City Walls and Castle Gate: The city walls, a large part of which remained under the modern settlement with the growth of the city, is in the 17th century. It was built by Mehmet Pasha. In the engraving dated 17th century, it is seen that the walls surround the city. The Walls Today, it is seen partially intact on Atatürk Boulevard, on the street, in the mountain district and with the bastion on Sağlık Caddesi. The bastion that forms the eastern entrance gate of the city is still called Kalekapısı today and is one of the symbolic structures of Kuşadası.
5- Hagios Antonios Monastery: In Dilek Peninsula National Park, Dayıoğlu is on a slope near the cave hill on the right and below the road while climbing the hill. It is thought to be an early Byzantine monastery. Most of the remains are under soil and dense vegetation. Some architectural plastic pieces have been taken to the Miletos museum.
6-Ilıca Hill: The city walls on the Ilıca Hill, located at the 5th km of the Kuşadası – Söke highway, at the junction of the Sahil neiborhoods, are the oldest architectural structures in Kuşadası and its surroundings, and the walls dating back to such an early period in Western Anatolia are also rare. The walls built of giant rocks, based on the construction technique, dating back to BC. It is dated to the 2nd millennium BC
7-Caravanserai: The caravanserai was built in the 17th century by Grand Vizier Öküz Mehmet Pasha, one of the important Ottoman statesmen. We learn from the name of Mülk dated 1612-1613 that he had a castle, an inn, a pier and a bathhouse built in Kuşadası, which was given to him as a property, so the building must have been built before this date. Kervansaray, also known as Kurşunlu Han, consists of two-level spaces around a square courtyard and porticos in front of these spaces.
8- Kaleiçi Mosque: Öküz Mehmet Pasha Mosque, known as Kaleiçi Mosque, was built in the first quarter of the 7th century. Kaleiçi Mosque, made of cut stone and a beautiful example of simple Ottoman architecture, is the oldest mosque in Kuşadası. The mainin door reflects Ottoman woodworking with mother-of-pearl inlaid and geometric woodwork. The building, which is adjacent to the north-east corner of the mosque, with a rectangular plan, a single space and a dome, is the Mosque Library built by Ilyas Aga, the Sığla Sanjak, in the 19th century.
9-Aya Yorgi Monastery: It is in the Dilek Peninsula National Park while climbing the Dayıoğlu hill from Nero bay, on the left side it is near Panayır hill. The ruins here must be the monastery that was used from Byzantium to the 19th century and the structures belonging to this monastery.
10-Pygale: The ancient settlement of Pygela passes by the people of Kuşadası and the holidaymakers on their way to Kuşadası or on their way to İzmir, but does not attract much attention. It is the 5th km of the Kuşadası – İzmir road. It is located near the Kuştur holiday village.
11-Historical Waterways: Kuşadası and its environs have attracted attention throughout history due to their rich water resources. It carried water to the ancient city of Ephesos in the 2nd century AD. The Roman period waterways built in the city are one of the proofs of this. This ancient structure is a 43 km long system that transports the water in the springs in the Değirmen stream area, through channels carved into the rock in some sections, tunnels, and in some places by arches, over valleys and straits.
12-Kaleiçi Bath: Although the building does not have an inscription on the construction, Kaleiçi Bath was used as a caravanserai in the 17th century, when the trade of Kuşadası was developed.
13- Panionion: Panionion is at the foot of Mykale Mountain a few hundred meters from the road before arriving in Güzelçamlı. The 12 Ionian cities reported by Heredotos are Miletus, Myus, Priene, Ephesos, Kolophon, Teos, Lebedos, Erythrai, Klazomenai, Phokaia Samos and Chios.
14- Yılancı Cape: Yılancı Cape, which is an important part of Kuşadası coastline, is located opposite the Güvercin Island. It is possible to see many historical ruins under water in the peninsula, around and on the shore. Although the name of the settlement here is not known for sure, it must be one of the cities of Marathesion or Neapolis, located in Kuşadası Bay, which the ancient writer Strabo mentioned.
15- Hanım Mosque: The building on Kahramanlar Caddesi is square planned and has a single dome. It is written on the inscription on the round-arched entrance door that it was built by Mrs. Hatice between 1656 and 1657. The mosque, which was mostly destroyed in the 1920s, was rebuilt between 1951 and 1957 by the people of Kuşadası.
16- Municipal Bath: Evliya Çelebi, who visited Kuşadası in the second quarter of the 17th century, mentions that the city has 2 baths, one in the inner castle and the other outside the walls. The bath outside the walls mentioned here should be the current municipal bath. Because the locations of 2 historical baths in Kuşadası fit this definition.
17- The Stone Artifacts in Kasım Yaman Park; In the park on Atatürk Boulevard in the city center, there are stone works from various periods in Kuşadası and its vicinity. The origin of most of them is not known. However, the striking straw motif column heads and church ambon pieces belonging to the Byzantine period are thought to have been brought from Anaia Kadıkale.